11 July 2014
RRG Annual Iftar and Offical Opening of RRG Resource and Counselling Centre at Khadijah Mosque – Speech by Ustaz Ali Hj Mohamed, Chairman, Khadijah Mosque Management Board & Co-chairman RRG AT Khadijah Mosque
His Excellency, President Dr Tony Tan Keng Yam
Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean
Minister Yaacob Ibrahim
Senior Minister of State Masagos Zulkifli
Associate Professor, Dr Fatimah Lateef,
Member of Parliament for Marine Parade GRC;
Mr Zaqy Mohamad, Member of Parliament for Chua Chu Kang GRC
Mr Loh Ngai Seng, Director ISD;
Members of Geylang Serai IRCC and religious organizations;
Community leaders, respected guests, ladies and gentlemen,
Assalamualaikum and a very good evening to everyone.
1. On behalf of Khadijah Mosque Management Board and the Religious Rehabilitation Group, I warmly welcome our guest of honour, President Tony Tan, distinguished guests, respected leaders of the community, our partners from various government and community organizations and everyone present to our annual iftar. This iftar also witnesses another significant milestone in RRG’s history with the official opening of the RRG Resource and Counselling Centre by our President.
2. We are very honored by all your presence.
3. Khadijah Mosque has been blessed to be in a unique position in Geylang, surrounded by diverse religious entities and neighboring Geylang clan associations; with whom we have built a close and harmonious relationship promoting the values and national ideology that keeps this beloved country of ours a unique place to live.
4. This annual iftar gathering serves to strengthen the bonding and friendships that we have built over the years, help create new initiatives and open the doors for future collaboration and networking.
5. Khadijah Mosque is also the secretariat for the asatizah volunteers of RRG. RRG has worked closely with MHA over the last decade and with MUIS guidance, to develop the counter narratives against radicalism and terrorism.
6. This has been a long learning journey for RRG and Khadijah Mosque in serving the community, we have persevered; with strong support from the MHA and the political leadership, patience and understanding from the asatizah community and enthusiastic encouragement from friends from all walks of Singapore’s multi-racial community.
7. But the global terrorist threat has kept pace and mutated many folds. The JI terrorism is no longer the only threat, we now have self-radicalized individuals and others wrongly inspired by the ‘doomsday prophecy and false call for jihad’ at the hotspots of militant activity like in Syria or Iraq.
8. The opening of the RRG Resource and Counselling Centre, is a significant step in our efforts to counter this morphing threats. It aims to provide a collection of resource for asatizah community to do research and enhance their skills in the counter narratives against terrorism. This centre also provides counselling assistance to individuals and families. The center’s gallery will provide an educational tour of radicalism and terrorist threats and how we continue to counter them.
9. This establishment of the centre is a logical follow up in our aspirations to unite our moderate friends from all over the world to speak loudly in one voice against the misguided interpretation of Islam.
10. Khadijah Mosque will continue to provide full support to RRG, as we strongly believe that religious institutions, organizations and places of worships have a pivotal role to play in the promotion of social cohesion and diversity. Just like Khadijah Mosque, each Mosque in Singapore can create a niche area to contribute to the community and to society as a whole.
11. Your Excellency,
We are greatly honored by your presence today for the iftar and to officially launch the RRG Resource and Counselling Centre. It is a strong endorsement by you on the path taken by RRG to fight against terror and recognition of the dedication by RRG volunteers. I thank you for spending your time with us today.
12. To all our guests and everyone, thank you for accepting our invitation and for being with us today to mark this important and memorable moment.
13. Thank you and wassalamualaikum wr wb.