NEW YORK, Nov. 6, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — While small businesses continue to explore ways to integrate social media into their marketing strategy, mixed messages surrounding the medium continue to flourish, leaving business owners wondering if the time and effort spent is worth the reward. Sorting social media marketing fact from fiction can seem an insurmountable task, but the potential gain from participating far outweighs the work involved to get your campaign off the ground. The following are all-too-common rumors regarding social media and suggested strategies for turning these myths to your advantage:
- If I built it they will come. Establishing a presence on social media is your first step, but don’t expect to generate new business just by creating your account.
- 24/7. Once you have mastered a few social media activities, it will become clear that this marketing strategy doesn’t require all of your time and effort. There are also several online tools that can manage and streamline your process.
- If it doesn’t go viral, let’s call it quits. The objective of your social media efforts shouldn’t be limited to whether or not your post goes viral. Instead, focus on attracting a steady stream of visitors due to the value you offer with your content.
- My target audience doesn’t use social media. One of the most common myths is that older customers are not active on social media. While that may have been true early on, you would be excluding a significant number of potential clients if you ignore this avenue.
- I am not a celebrity. Another common myth is that social media only works for rock stars or athletes. Don’t base your success on millions of followers or likes, a targeted group of loyal followers will likely translate into more revenue.
For further discussion on the common myths and misconceptions surrounding social media, view the article of Peter LaMotte, SVP at LEVICK, on PR Newswire’s Small Business Toolkit: http://bit.ly/13IdI0I
PR Newswire’s Small Business PR Toolkit is a comprehensive resource that provides small businesses and entrepreneurs the tools to develop an affordable public relations and marketing plan that helps generate interest from potential customers, engage with key audiences and grow their businesses. The toolkit features relevant content such as informative white papers, interactive webinars and how-to articles and premium access to educational resources, as well as the opportunity to take advantage of special offers designed specifically for small businesses. To request information on how PR Newswire can help your small business, click here. You can receive updates on new Small Business PR Toolkit content by following @prnsmallbiz on Twitter.
About PR Newswire
PR Newswire (www.prnewswire.com) is the premier global provider of multimedia platforms that enable marketers, corporate communicators, sustainability officers, public affairs and investor relations officers to leverage content to engage with all their key audiences. Having pioneered the commercial news distribution industry 60 years ago, PR Newswire today provides end-to-end solutions to produce, optimize and target content — from rich media to online video to multimedia — and then distribute content and measure results across traditional, digital, mobile and social channels. Combining the world’s largest multi-channel, multi-cultural content distribution and optimization network with comprehensive workflow tools and platforms, PR Newswire enables the world’s enterprises to engage opportunity everywhere it exists. PR Newswire serves tens of thousands of clients from offices in the Americas, Europe, Middle East, Africa and the Asia-Pacific region, and is a UBM plc company.
Director, Strategic Channels