One-day GMV more than doubles year-on-year
Mobile orders jump to more than 40% of total
BEIJING, November 12, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — JD.com, Inc. (“JD.com” or the “Company”) (NASDAQ: JD), China’s largest online direct sales company, today announced data from its annual November 11 “Singles Day” sales event.
Richard Liu, JD.com’s founder and CEO commented, “Customer experience is king, and our focus on authenticity and fast delivery helped drive massive sales growth during this year’s Singles Day event. Our Singles Day and June 18 anniversary sales clearly demonstrate that Chinese consumers increasingly value quality, authenticity and delivery speed when they make online purchases — which gives JD.com an important advantage. While November 11 is the biggest day of JD.com’s Singles Day event, we extend the sales period over 12 days to give users more time to consider purchases and to ensure the best possible customer experience and delivery speeds throughout.”
“We saw outstanding sales figures for this year’s Singles Day event, including strong numbers for mobile, which rocketed to over 40% of orders placed, as Tencent’s Weixin and Mobile QQ began to drive traffic alongside our popular native app,” said Haoyu Shen, CEO of JD Mall, which includes JD.com’s online direct sales and marketplace platforms. “Our self-operated nationwide logistics network helped drive excellent growth in smaller lower-tier cities during the Singles Day event.”
JD.com announced numbers from the Singles Day sale:
- Over 14 million orders were placed on JD.com on November 11, an increase of more than 120% compared to last year’s event.
- GMV on JD.com for November 11 more than doubled compared with the same period last year.
- JD.com sold 35.19 million items (excluding virtual products) on November 11.
- Over 40% of orders were placed via mobile, including JD.com’s mobile apps, mobile site, Weixin and Mobile QQ on November 11, or 8 times what it was during last year’s event.
- Compared to the October average, on November 11 there were 20 times as many orders through JD.com’s level-one access points on Weixin and Mobile QQ.
- JD.com saw an approximately 250% increase in apparel orders, including sneakers, compared with the same period last year. Among JD.com’s 13 product categories, apparel had the largest number of orders for the day.
- Flash sales on JD.com were 10 times the October average.
- The first delivery on November 11 was completed at 12:56 AM in Shanghai. The customer purchased a Midea water heater at 12:01 AM.
- Over 38,000 tons of goods ordered on November 11 will be delivered to consumers via JD.com’s own self-operated delivery network.
About JD.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: JD):
JD.com, Inc. is the leading online direct sales company in China. The Company strives to offer consumers the best online shopping experience. Through its content-rich and user-friendly website www.jd.com and mobile applications, JD.com offers a wide selection of authentic products at competitive prices and deliver products in a speedy and reliable manner. The Company believes it has the largest fulfillment infrastructure of any e-commerce company in China. JD.com operated 7 fulfillment centers and a total of 97 warehouses with an aggregate gross floor area of approximately 1.8 million square meters in 39 cities, and 1,808 delivery stations and 715 pickup stations in 1,780 counties and districts across China, staffed by its own employees. The Company provided same-day delivery in 111 counties and districts under its 211 program and next-day delivery in another 622 counties and districts across China as of June 30, 2014.
For media inquiries, please contact:
Senior Director, International Communications
+86 (10) 5895-9315